Sunday, August 10, 2014

Day 29 - Just a short story

Had been stuck in office for a late assignment. It was time to wrap up work so I picked the cell phone to call my hubby. Its our small ritual so he knows that I am on my way especially when its beyond 9 in the night. His number is engaged for a long time. I wait for him to revert. No luck! He does not call back. That's uncharacteristic of him. So I try again and this time it rings for a long time but he does not pick up. I am irritated. Doesn't he know that its late and I am trying hard to get through to him. Or may be he's in the bathroom and so I try once more. But even now still no reply. Why is he not responding when he is supposed to be comfortably ensconced at home. Now I am totally furious and even sad. I have been trying to get through him continuously for 10 minutes. Typically, he will drop a message if he is not able to call back. But not a trace of that too.I shut down my lap top, pick up my bags, my lunch box and grab the keys of my office. I am stomping my way down the passage thinking of his callous attitude. I decide to try one last time as I am about to step out. His phone rings yet again. But this time the ring is not just filling up my ears, the familiar Nokia tune is also wafting into the office entrance door. It takes only a few seconds for it to sink in and I am standing, rooted to the ground and grinning from ear to ear. He picks my laptop bag and my other paraphernalia but he does not realize that in that single moment he has also swept me off my feet.


Moral - Why is it that we lose patience with those we love more than anyone? Why are we so much more patient with strangers than with ourselves and loved ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment