Friday, March 14, 2014

Day 28 - Poochne mein kya jaata hai!

This happened quite some time back when my office colleague and boss were on their way to an overseas official trip. They both were hanging around at the airport after clearing the security and my boss being an avid shopper could not resist entering one of the duty free shops. It turned out to be an exclusive showroom for designer watches. Within few minutes (like most men I know)he had zeroed in on one of the fancy watches in the showcase. It was the model he had been eying for a long time and finally he had found it! As my boss was checking on the price to make the payment, my colleague who was till now busy drooling over the encased time pieces joined him. He very casually asked him the price of the watch in his hand and literally fell backwards upon hearing the hefty figure. In his very natural instinct he asked my boss whether there was any discount being offered on the watch. On hearing this, my boss rolled his eyes in disbelief and said, "No way. This is a duty free shop where prices are fixed and you don't bargain here of all the places." He further added, "By the way, I don't mind if YOU are going to ask this question to the salesman over the counter but I am definitely not with you.' Saying this my boss slinked away as if disowning my colleague who was about to ask an embarrassing question. My colleague was not going to relent. He went straight up to the smiling face in the dapper suit and asked him plainly if there was any discount on the time piece. Guess what! After much humming and hawing the salesman politely answered, 'Well sir, we can offer you a 15% discount on this watch. If you are fine with the price, should I go ahead and gift wrap it for you?'  Well, well, well! Can you guess what the scene would have been like as they both collected the watch and exited the showroom?
Obviously, my colleague had the 'cat who got the cream' look on his face but my boss (as he accepted later) had learned a great lesson that day. 'Poochne mein kya jaata hain'.
Since that incident, every meeting, our boss recounts the incident to all those who have not heard about it and emphasizes the importance of asking and negotiating. Whether one is asking, negotiating, seeking help, looking for advice or just clarifying a doubt; asking never hurt anybody. A lot of people don't ask because of the fear that they may look small, naive, dumb, helpless etc. But no, that's not the case at all. If at all it does any change, it's only positive. It makes us better and 'richer' than what we were before. In fact, I remember a Tata Sky campaign which ran very successfully in 2013 with the theme - 'Poochne Mein Kya Jaata Hain'. It was a great execution by the creative team of this simple but often ignored insight. They used it effectively to convey their message about a discount offer on Tata Sky package being promoted.

And above all, doesn't the Bible also say, 'Ask and you shall receive'. So go ahead I say, its never too late to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment